Exportkontrollföreningens medlemmar inbjuds att delta i ett kostnadsfritt seminarium den 28 september. Vi ber er dock att registrera er i nedanstående mall. Medlemmar, som ej dyker upp, kommer att debiteras med 500 kronor. Vänligen meddela oss om ni önskar lunch kl 12:00 eller ej.
US Controls on Software, Technology, and the Cloud (28 September 2023)
Software and digital services is a global business and one of the world’s top technology export sectors. It also remains to a large extent an industry dominated by the United States, with seven of the top ten software companies based there. Most of that software, including software as a service (SaaS), is subject to at least some level of export controls, sanctions restrictions, or both.
In this presentation, Scott Gearity of the Export Compliance Training Institute will advance your understanding of how the US International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR), Export Administration Regulations (EAR), and Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) sanctions apply specifically to software and technology, with an emphasis on how these rules play out in a cloud environment.
This training will include the following:
- Key terms and concepts in US technology and software controls
- How the ITAR approaches controlling software
- All the ways the US Munitions List (USML) captures software, often without mentioning it
- ITAR software exemptions and licensing considerations
- Deemed exports: how you can make an export of software without sending it out of the US
- What software is and is not subject to the EAR
- Treatment of SaaS, cloud computing, and open source software
- Software classification on the Commerce Control List: Order of Review, 600 series, typical vs. atypical software ECCNs, and more
- Encryption software: what it is, how it’s controlled by the EAR, and how it’s both unique and ubiquitous
- Major license exceptions which may allow software exports without a specific license
- Agency guidance on the cloud
- Practical considerations and steps you can take
- Case studies for discussion